Here to help
Porters, Security and Safety
The Porters are responsible for site safety and security and they also look after the post, parcels, access to buildings, car parking, bike monitoring and registration, fire safety and CCTV . The Porters are uniformed and perform regular patrols of the site, paying particular attention to ground floor windows left open, cycles left unlocked, and student safety amongst other things.
The Porters’ Lodge is staffed 7am to midnight every day, with occasional exception. The emergency contact number outside these times is 07917 535806. Parcel collection times are 1pm-3pm and 7.30pm to 11.30pm daily.
If you need anything from the Porters, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 01223 330484.
The Porters Team
The Porters team is led by Jonathan Aveling. He was a Cambridgeshire police officer before his retirement and joined Hughes Hall in 2017. The team is there to support and advise you. If you would like to contact Jonathan you can email email@example.com.
Security and Safety
The following is a short list of points to help ensure the safety and security of you, your colleagues, staff, senior members and visitors to the College.
- 80% of all crime is opportunist. Remove the opportunity and you reduce the risk of crime.
- Security is the responsibility of all of us at College.
- Always leave your room locked and, if you are on the ground floor, ensure your windows are closed when you leave your room.
- You can register your valuable items with immobilise.com. It is free and is checked by all police forces. So if stolen property is recovered it is more likely to be returned.
- Always lock your cycle. Cycles should only be left in the cycle areas provided on site.
- Cycles left in unauthorised areas may be removed.
- All cycles must be registered. A form is available for download and completion here.
- When you have completed a bike registration form, please take it to the Porters’ Lodge where you will get a bike identification sticker.
- Never leave cooking unattended. If the hob or cooker is on then you must stay near it.
- Always switch off the cooker/hob when you have finished your cooking.
General Fire Safety
- All buildings on site have audible fire alarms. If you hear a fire alarm you must evacuate the building and make your way to the assembly point.
- For the main site, the assembly point is the motorcycle area on the main drive. Please take time to find this.
- For Gresham Court the assembly point is Gresham Road.
Familiarise yourself with the fire exits in your building and all buildings which you visit.