Here to help
Porters, Security and Safety
The Porters are responsible for site safety and security and they also look after the post, parcels, access to buildings, car parking, bike monitoring and registration, fire safety and CCTV monitoring. The Porters are uniformed and perform regular patrols of the site, paying particular attention to ground floor windows left open, cycles left unlocked, and student safety amongst many other things.
The Porters’ Lodge is staffed 7am to midnight every day. The emergency contact number outside these times is 07917 535806. Parcel collection times are 1pm-3pm and 7.30pm to 11.30pm daily.
If you need anything from the Porters, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 01223 330 484.
The Porters Team
The Porters team is led by Jonathan Aveling. He was a Cambridgeshire police officer before his retirement in 2014 and then worked at Robinson College before joining Hughes Hall in 2017. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute and has a background in Learning and Development with the police service. He was Commission Manager for the Olympic Training project in 2012 and worked on the design and delivery of the High Potential Development scheme and Core Leadership Development Programme for the police service. His final police secondment was to the College of Policing. He retired after 28 years’ service.
The Porters team is there for your help and assistance and as such prides itself on setting high standards and delivering a quality service. If this standard is not met please let Jonathan know by email on email@example.com or via phone 56083 internal or 07864980970.
Security and Safety
The following is a short list of points to help ensure the safety and security of you, your colleagues, staff, senior members and visitors to the College.
- 80% of all crime is opportunist. Remove the opportunity and you reduce the risk of crime.
- Security is the responsibility of every member of the College.
- Always leave your room locked and, if you are on the ground floor, ensure your windows are closed when you leave your room.
- Register your valuable items with immobilise.com. It is free and is checked by all police forces. So in the event of property being recovered after a crime, it is more likely to be returned to you. You can register items of value and cycles free of charge there and upload pictures.
- Always lock your cycle. Cycles may only be left in the cycle areas provided on site.
- Cycles left in unauthorised areas may be removed.
- All Cycles must be registered. A form is available for download and completion here.
- When you have completed a bike registration form, take it to the Porters’ Lodge where you will be issued with a unique number to be fixed to the handlebars of your cycle.
- Never leave cooking unattended. If the hob or cooker is on then you MUST stay near it.
- Always switch off the cooker/hob when you have finished your cooking.
General Fire Safety
- All buildings on site have audible fire alarms. If you here a fire alarm you must evacuate the building and make your way to the assembly point.
- For the main site, the assembly point is the motorcycle area on the main drive. Please take time to find this.
- For Gresham Court the assembly point is Gresham Road
Familiarise yourself with the fire exits in your building and all buildings which you visit.