There are a wide range of sources of support in Cambridge. Sometimes this can be confusing, so if in doubt consult your College Tutor, the College Nurse, or the MCR (student) Welfare Officers at mcr.welfare.female@hughes.cam.ac.uk, mcr.welfare.male@hughes.cam.ac.uk, and the MCR Equality Officer mcr.equality@hughes.cam.ac.uk.

Each student is allocated a college tutor who is concerned with your welfare and progress. You will get an opportunity to meet your tutor at Induction Day, but if you have already registered then you do not have to wait until Induction Day to contact your tutor. Tutors are experienced academics who are dedicated to student interests. They are available to help you to navigate through the regulations and pressures of university life. You may consult your tutor over any matter concerning your studies, or in any personal, disciplinary or financial matter on which you need advice or help.

Dr Othman Cole and Dr Corinne Roughley, are Harassment Support Tutors and have expertise in providing guidance in cases of harassment or sexual misconduct. Any student can contact Dr Cole or Dr Roughley if they have been affected by any form of harassment or sexual misconduct – their contact details are on the Tutors page.

The Student Wellbeing pages of the University website have detailed information about different kinds of student support available in Cambridge.

There is a short guide to welfare for Hughes students and contact details here: www.hughes.cam.ac.uk/student-centre/welfare/welfare-contacts/

There are also self-help books in the college library.

Further information on examinations is available here

The College Nurse, Maria Gloag is available to offer confidential advice and support to students and staff of Hughes Hall.  Maria is available to help with a wide variety of health and welfare needs, ranging from help and advice with minor illnesses and injuries to support for emotional issues. If more specialised help or treatment is required, she will help refer you or point you in the right direction whether via your GP, the University Counselling Service or other local services.

A poster with information about Safeguarding Adults at Risk of Abuse is available for download. There is information about preventing harassment and sexual misconduct available here.

All students should register with a doctor

For urgent, but non-emergency, out of hours’ health care advice, including mental health, please call 111.

Remember, if life is at risk, such as: suspected heart attack, stroke, anaphylaxis, severe bleeding, difficulty breathing: please call 999 or 112.