You can now graduate in person at the Senate House (guests limited to two per graduand) and join a college celebration. The number of guests permitted will depend on the number of graduands attending that day. Alternatively, you may graduate in absence but note that you cannot later graduate in person to the same degree.
You must graduate in order to obtain your degree officially, and a degree certificate. You can do this in person or in absence, but in either case Hughes Hall must enter you for a graduation ceremony. If you have completed your course requirements but not graduated, you can still claim to have completed your degree and can obtain a transcript to confirm this.
Cambridge has two types of graduation ceremony:
- Congregation, held on eight dates throughout the year, for all degrees including MA.
- General Admission, held after the Easter Term, only for BA and related courses (MSci, MEng, MMath). Eligible students will be informed directly.
Apart from General Admission, the university does not specify particular dates for particular degrees, and each college is free to make its own arrangements. The President, Fellows and Senior Members of Hughes Hall would like to celebrate the occasion with you and your guests, so we encourage you to graduate in person on one of the seven dates when we offer a reception or refreshments. However, we recognise that this will not be possible for everyone, so these dates and two others are also available for graduation in absence.
- For information about what happens on the day of the graduation ceremony itself, please see Graduation Day
- To find out what you need to do to graduate, see What You Need To Do
- There are strict regulations on clothing and dress at graduation ceremonies, please see What you need to wear
- For information about Certificates and Transcripts, see Certificates and Transcripts
- See also the list of Frequently Asked Questions about graduation.
Timings for the day are confirmed at the beginning of the week of the graduation ceremony. If you are making plans in advance, then please set aside the whole day for your graduation.
Please note, where refreshments are available for the college reception, there is a limit of 2 guests per graduand in College and at the Senate House.
|Date||College reception||Graduate in person||Graduate in abscence|
|Sat 21 Oct 2023||Refreshments||All degrees||All degrees|
|Sat 25 Nov 2023||No||No||All degrees|
|Fri 26 Jan 2024||No||No||All degrees|
|Sat 24 Feb 2024||Refreshments||All degrees||All degrees|
|Sat 6 Apr 2024||Refreshments||All degrees, mainly MA||All degrees|
|Sat 27 Apr 2024||Refreshments||MBA and MSt only||All degrees|
|Fri 17 May 2024||Refreshments||All degrees, mainly EMBA and MFin||All degrees|
|Sat 29 Jun 2024||Refreshments||BA, MEng/MMath/MSci||Undergraduate degrees only|
|Sat 20 Jul 2024||Refreshments||All degrees||All degrees|
Hughes Hall will follow the same pattern as above on the equivalent dates in future years, as published on the University website.
Updated 26 Jul 2023.