+44 (0)1223 330484

UK giving

Making a gift from the United Kingdom

You can make a one-off donation or set-up a Direct Debit online via our website. However, you may wish to consider other ways of giving depending on your personal tax status and giving preferences.

Gift Aid

UK tax payers can make tax efficient donations to the College through the Gift Aid Scheme. By completing a Gift Aid Declaration, donors allow Hughes Hall to claim back the tax equivalent to the basic rate of income tax (20%). This means that we receive an extra 25p for every £1 you give at no extra cost to you.

UK donors paying higher rates of income tax, either at 40% or 45%, can reclaim the difference between the basic rate and the highest rate of tax on the gross value of their gift through their self-assessment tax return.  Higher rate tax payers who do not complete a self-assessment form can contact their local tax office and reclaim the tax on their donation using a P810 form.  The reclaimed amount can either be kept by the donor or donated back to College.

The following examples show the full potential of gifts made to Hughes Hall by a donor paying tax at each rate:

DonationCharity ClaimsTotal DonationDonor ReclaimsFull Potential*
Basic Rate Taxpayer (20%)£800£200 £1,000 – £1,000
Higher Rate Taxpayer (40%)£800£200 £1,000 £200£1,200
Highest Rate Taxpayer (45%) £800 £200 £1,000£250£1,250

*Full potential with Gift Aid added if higher rate relief is donated back to Hughes Hall.

You can complete a Gift Aid Declaration whenever you make a donation via our online donation form.

If you want to make a Gift Aid Declaration for gifts you have already made (in the past four years, and all future gifts) then you can also make a Gift Aid Declaration by email using the sample Declaration below as a template, or you can download our printable Declaration form, returning it to the Alumni Relations and Development Office.

“I, (full name), whose home address is: (full UK home address) confirm that: 

I would like Hughes Hall to claim Gift Aid on all donations I have made in the last four years and any future donations I make. I confirm that I am a UK tax payer and that I have paid or will pay an amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax for each tax year (6 April to 5 April) that is at least equal to the amount of tax that all the charities or Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) that I donate to will reclaim on my gifts for that tax year. I understand that if I pay less Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax than the amount of Gift Aid claimed on all my donations in that tax year it is my responsibility to pay any difference. I understand that other taxes such as VAT and Council Tax do not qualify. I under-stand the charity will reclaim 25p of tax on every £1 that I give or have given in the last four tax years.”

To maximise your tax giving, your Gift Aid Declaration is backdated four years as permitted by the Gift Aid Scheme, however if you have started paying taxes more recently or would prefer not to backdate the Declaration for any other reason, please email development@hughes.cam.ac.uk.

Please also notify Hughes Hall if you:

  • want to cancel your Gift Aid Declaration
  • change your name or home address
  • no longer pay sufficient tax on your income and/or capital gains

You can read more about the Gift Aid Scheme.

Payroll giving and give as you earn

Many companies enable their employees to participate in Give As You Earn (GAYE) and Payroll Giving, which allows you to make a tax-free donation directly from your UK salary or pension. Payments are normally of a set amount, made monthly, but it is also possible to make one-off payments. Your employer may also match your donation, which could as much as double the value of your gift to Hughes Hall at no extra cost to you.

In order to set up a gift via Payroll Giving, you need to contact your HR or Charity Department. They will ask you to complete a form which requires your employer to make a deduction from either your salary or pension. Please also keep the College informed so that we can make sure your gift is recognised and allocated in accordance with your wishes. Please find further information here.

Donating shares

Donating shares to the College is one of the most tax-effective ways you can support us. You do not have to pay any capital gains tax on donated shares and you can claim income tax relief by deducting the value of your donation from your total taxable income in the tax year (6 April to 5 April) which you made the gift.

Gifts in kind

If you would like to support the College but would prefer not to do this financially, you might like to consider a gift in kind. Gifts in kind could include donating books to the College Library or the hosting of events.

Cheques and charity vouchers

Single gifts can be made to the College via a cheque sent to the Alumni Relations & Development Office, made payable to ‘Hughes Hall’. For those with CAF or sovereign accounts, a voucher can be sent to the College for us to complete. It is not possible for Hughes Hall to claim Gift Aid on gifts made via CAF vouchers.

Bank transfer

If you would like to make a donation by bank transfer, please email development@hughes.cam.ac.uk and we would be happy to provide details on how to make a gift to the College by bank transfer.