+44 (0)1223 330484

Who can apply

Who can apply for undergraduate study?

Hughes Hall began life in the 1880s with a history of pioneering in the provision of education to teachers, and has welcomed undergraduates and postgraduate students of all genders in a wide range of subjects for over fifty years. The College is proud of the diversity of nationalities and academic subjects represented among our students covering all the degrees offered at Cambridge; we invite applicants of all backgrounds to apply to the College.

If you can’t find the information you are looking for on these pages, please email the admissions team at ugadmissions@hughes.cam.ac.uk.


We only accept undergraduate students who will be 21 years old (or older) at the start of their course. Please see the University’s guidance on mature undergraduates for more information. (There is no age requirement for postgraduate students.)


Further details of the University’s entrance requirements can be found at www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements


In addition to A-levels and the International Baccalaureate we accept a wide range of equivalent or more advanced qualifications. Access to Higher Education Diplomas will be considered for most Arts courses, and for Psychological and Behavioural Sciences. We expect students to be taking at least 45 credits at Level 3 and to obtain Distinctions in all graded units.

Open University Certificate in Higher Education, with Distinction, may also be suitable for entry to most Arts courses, and to Psychological and Behavioural Sciences. We would encourage candidates to take Level 2 credits where possible. If you have been out of education for more than two or three years then it is extremely helpful for you if you undertake additional preparation. You could, for example, take an Access course, study at the Open University or enrol at Cambridge University’s Institute for Continuing Education. If you have subsequently returned to study, please do not be put off from applying by poor school results as we will take most account of your recent attainment.

International applicants:

For overseas qualifications please see the University’s International qualifications pages.

Can I transfer from another University?

If you are currently enrolled on a course at another Higher Education establishment which is not due for completion by the time of your intended entry to Cambridge, we will not be able to accept your application without written support from your tutor or course director there. A letter of support is not something which is given as a matter of routine; there has to be a good reason, academic or personal circumstance, why you should be permitted to apply. Many Foundation courses lead automatically to a place on a degree course at the same institution and if this is the case with your particular course then the same rule applies. If you have completed a course from another university with excellent grades then in some subjects you may be able to do a second undergraduate degree as an affiliated student at Cambridge. In this case the course takes a year less than usual.

Previous Cambridge Degree:

If you already hold a Cambridge University degree, you cannot study for an undergraduate honours degree at Cambridge.

International students:

Please be aware that you need a valid visa to study – www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students

English language requirements:

It is essential that your English language skills are good enough for you to undertake an intensive and challenging academic course which is taught and examined in English.

Please note that a reasonable standard of spoken English is also required at the time of interview (e.g. an overall IELTS score of at least 6.0 for sciences or 6.5 for arts and social sciences).

If you are offered a place after interview you may be asked to achieve a formal qualification as part of the conditions of your offer. Examples of qualifications which may be required include:

  • IELTS – a minimum overall grade of 7.5, with 7.0 or above in each element.
  • EU students – a high grade in English (e.g. the European/French Baccalaureate, Abitur etc.).
  • Cambridge English: Advanced – grade A or B.
  • Cambridge English: Proficiency – grade A, B or C.
  • Singapore Integrated Programme (SIP).

For more information see the University’s English language requirements page.


View the University’s undergraduate prospectus.