We look forward to welcoming increasing numbers of our students back to Hughes Hall, from the UK and around the world. The information below provides a summary of current arrangements in and around College, which includes some easing of restrictions in line with the country’s steps out of lockdown, including rules on visitors, and catering and library provision. We continue to assess the specific opportunities and risks as they affect you in our College grounds, household settings, and buildings. All arrangements, including events, bar and sporting provision, are continually reviewed so we can support you and provide the fullest experience possible.
As a reminder, to organise your return or confirm that you have done so, whether in College or private accommodation, please complete this short form: https://cambridge.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3EJIUymLPNto5YF.
Please remember that people in our community feel differently about staying safe and the threat of the virus to their health. For COVID-related questions or concerns, please email email@example.com, or check our website for useful links. For any further questions or concerns, contact your tutor.
Teaching and supervisions
- In-person teaching for all students will not commence before 17th May at the earliest
- Supervisions and small-group teaching may take place outside at College in groups of up to 6, for example, in the marquee
- For those who will not or cannot be in Cambridge for 17th May, appropriate teaching, supervision and assessment arrangements will be made
- Our students are allowed one visitor each outdoors at College, and in gardens of College houses.
- The Porters’ Lodge will provide forms for completion by those visiting the College site.
- Visitors are not permitted inside.
- Face coverings must be worn inside College buildings, except when eating and drinking, or within your household.
Library and study spaces
- The Library is currently open open 9am – 11pm, 7 days a week
- Additional study spaces remain available throughout the College, as well as in the marquee.
- For the latest Library information and to book a visit, go to the Library Moodle site
- Benches, gardens and other outside spots around College can be used for socialising, subject to current rules on gatherings (6 individual or 2 households maximum)
- The marquee is also denoted as an outside space whilst 50% of its sides are open.
- The Dining Hall is currently open 12noon – 2pm serving hot lunches and takeaway options, and for the collection of evening meals. This provision will grow as student numbers increase.
- The marquee café is open for food and drinks, on a take-away basis
- We continue to operate catering support for those in quarantine or isolation, as required.
- Menu details here.
- University managed and City sports facilities including indoor and outdoor pools are open and ‘COVID-secure’
- Outdoor organised sports are permitted including University and College sports teams, and inter-College sport, subject to relevant national governing body guidelines
- For any questions about restarting sports or societies, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The asymptomatic testing programme continues to enable Cambridge students to access the best possible testing provision available.
- You are strongly encouraged to continue with this to keep each other and the wider community safe, and to make sure we don’t jeopardise the continued easing of restrictions.
- Thank you for your commitment to this – those in our community who feel vulnerable to the virus are grateful for the support of everyone around them.
- Further information on testing is available here.
- If you are quarantining following international travel, you are required to remain in your room, and away from housemates.
- We can provide food and other essentials
- 17th May and 21st June should bring important additional freedoms, particularly for indoor hospitality and socialising, and larger outdoor gatherings, which will enable a very welcome return to some of the social, dining, musical and otherwise convivial aspects of College life.
- We will keep you updated!