An opportunity to share, celebrate and understand the impact of black heritage and culture
October marks Black History Month (BHM) in the UK and at Hughes Hall we are celebrating with the theme of Black Excellence to recognise the contribution and achievements of those with African or Caribbean heritage.
Led by the MCR, we will be running several different events throughout the month, highlighting notable figures in Black history. The College community is invited to join in these events including a themed social, quiz, formal dining event and movie night:
- BHM social night, 6th Oct, 5pm-8pm: an opportunity for our Black students to socialise and get to know each other.
- ‘Pub quiz’, 15th Oct, 6pm-7.30pm, BHM themed quiz rounds open to all.
- BHM Formal Hall, 22nd Oct, 7pm-11pm: hosted by Dr Othman Cole, Hughes Hall Fellow and Race Equality Champion.
- ‘Hidden Figures’ Movie Night, 28th October, 7pm-9.30pm
Meet your MCR Equality and BAME Officer
Swati Keshri is in the third year of a PhD in Medical Genetics, runs the college Yoga society as well as being the Equality and BAME Office of Hughes Hall MCR Committee: “I welcome all the new students who have joined us this year and I hope you are beginning to appreciate the diverse student body that we have at Hughes. We promote inclusion and equality by recognising and celebrating the different experiences our students bring to Hughes.”
“I am delighted to organise the first such celebration, Black History Month, with a great team (Jenson Jonathan, Kudzai Chivenga, Megan Ennis, Paco Ll and Yasmin Lajoie).”
“As an Equality and BAME officer, I want to represent the diverse student community of Hughes. I hope, as a committee, we make Hughes a more inclusive place than ever. The pandemic has intensified the disparities between the developed and developing world; I hope we, as a team, identify and understand the issues faced by international students in the context of COVID and attempt to make Hughes a welcoming place for everyone.”
Meet your Race Equality Champion
Dr Othman Cole is a Governing Body Fellow, Tutor and Race Equality Champion at Hughes Hall. He is also Senior Faculty in Management Practice (Finance) and the Deputy Director of the Executive MBA Programme at the University of Cambridge Judge Business School. Dr Cole holds a PhD and an MPhil in Finance, both from Cambridge Judge Business School; an MSc in International Securities, Investment and Banking; and an MEng in Computer Systems Engineering.
As the College’s Race Equality Champion, members of our student community are welcome, and encouraged, to contact Dr Cole if they have concerns related to race and ethnicity issues which they would like to discuss: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information
- About Black History Month: https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk/
- For Black History Month activities across the region: https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/black-history-month
- For Black History Month activities across the University: https://www.cam.ac.uk/news/exhibitions-discussions-and-an-open-mic-night-mark-black-history-month-2021-at-cambridge
- And to keep up with MCR led events, follow them: instagram.com/p/CUaW4PoIfO_/ and www.facebook.com/groups/600323606683784
- Equality and diversity at Hughes Hall’s: https://www.hughes.cam.ac.uk/about/equality-and-diversity/
If you would like to share your news, please email email@example.com