Wednesday 19 January, 6:30 pm to 7:45 pm, Pavilion Rm (refreshments from 6:00 pm)
The theme for our Lent Term Education Subject area event is Key questions in education for sustainability from an environmental perspective.
- What does sustainability mean in educational contexts and what different perspectives on it exist?
- What can educators and researchers do to promote young people’s understanding of this issue?
- How can we consider cultural issues together with sustainability for an inclusive perspective?
The event takes the form of a guest panel with short presentations, panel discussion and audience Q&A and discussion. Our guest panellists are:
- Dr Penny Hay, an artist, researcher and educator from Bath Spa University, whose work has focused on arts education, particularly in the context of Global Challenges. Penny is Director of Research in House of Imagination, a research organisation with a focus on children’s and young people’s creative and critical thinking, and artist researcher on the Global Challenges Research (AHRC) project in Dharavi Mumbai: ‘Rethinking waste and the logics of disposability’, an experimental learning space called Compound 13 Lab.
- Dr Elsa Lee, an educational researcher from Homerton college, whose research focuses on environmental sustainability education and place-based learning, including an interdisciplinary AHRC funded ethnographic project entitled Pathways to Understanding the Changing Climate: time and place in cultural learning about the environment, and its follow-on funded impact project, AHRC Healthy Waterways. Elsa has also developed arts-based teaching methods for outdoor education, nature and wellbeing.
This will be a hybrid event, with both face-to-face participation and online participation possible.
Refreshments will be available from 6:00 pm in the Pavilion room for all who can attend in person. We will open a Zoom room at 6:15 pm, and start the panel at 6:30 pm, with time for what we hope to be a lively conversation afterwards.
Please register using the Eventbrite link: click here.
– You will be able to indicate whether you will be attending in person, or if you wish to receive a zoom link for online participation. If due to COVID restrictions, we are not able to host this as an ‘in person’ college event, a zoom link will be sent out to all participants to enable online participation.