College Offer

College Offer

Every student of the University must also be a member of one of the colleges. Degrees and other qualifications are administered and awarded by the University, but admission to a college is a requirement of enrolment in any course. So, admission to Cambridge is a two-pronged process consisting of admission to the University and admission to a College. The two are interlinked and confirmation of your college membership depends on you having met the conditions set by the University (either Graduate Admissions, the Faculty of Education or Judge Business School, depending on your course) as well as satisfactorily completing the college admissions process.

We advise that you begin the college admissions process as soon as you can for a quicker result, even if you are not in a position to return all the documents at once.

New applicants

I’ve received a college offer – what do I do now?

To accept your place:

  • Complete the Acceptance Reply Form
  • Check College fees and charges
  • Prepare your supporting financial evidence
  • Upload a recent digital photograph to your Self-Service account in order for us to prepare your University card – see the How do I get a University card? section below
  • Meet any conditions set by the Faculty of Education (PGCE and MEd), Judge Business School (MBA, MFin and EMBA), Graduate Admissions (for all other courses)

What forms do I need to complete?

The Admissions Office aims to process returned forms within eight working days generally; however, at peak periods (June onwards) it can take longer given the volume of paperwork we are dealing with.

(1) Acceptance Reply Form
Complete the Acceptance Reply Form. You will also be directed to the College’s Disability Information Form, to indicate whether you require any adjustments or additional support.

(2) Finance Form

You will have completed the University’s Financial Undertaking Form in order to meet the financial condition of admission. (See the University’s Your Offer page for more information.) The College may contact you to confirm details or request further information as a condition of membership.

All students, other than those who will be in receipt of either public, departmental, or scholarship funding (written confirmation is required), must pay their University and College fees and charges in advance.

What forms do I need to complete

How do I secure a college room?

How do I secure a college room
You can see information about the bands, current prices, and the various types of college rooms in the accommodation section of the website.

Student rooms in the College are priced by bands based on the size of the room, the room’s location, and whether or not it has en-suite bath or shower facilities. You can see information about the bands, current prices, and the various types of college rooms in the accommodation section of the website. In the Spring, the College will set the accommodation allocation policy and the band prices for the academic year commencing that October, and at that point the room allocation process for new students will be opened.

Graduate applicants who are offered a place are asked to return an Acceptance Reply Form, for undergraduates this happens through UCAS. Shortly after your acceptance has been received by the College you will be contacted by the accommodation team and asked to complete an Accommodation Preference Form where you indicate which price bands you prefer for your College accommodation. (Those who accept before the room allocation process for new students is opened will be emailed when it is opened.)

When you have been fully confirmed as a student by the University and the College, submitted your Accommodation Preference Form, and if there are rooms available, we will send you an email notifying you of the process to secure a room in the allocation. The allocation policy is available on the accommodation page.

If you have queries about the process you can contact the accommodation team at

If you have disability requirements related to accommodation you should complete the Disability Information Form or contact the College’s Disability Equality Officer who will help you provide the necessary information to enable the college to provide suitable accommodation. Sometimes this requires specific medical information which can take time to secure. The earlier you contact the Disability Equality Officer, the easier it will be to complete the process and to secure suitable accommodation.

When will my college membership be confirmed?

Once you have submitted all the required forms and supplementary information your file will be reviewed. Depending on your individual financial circumstances you may be asked to make advance payment before we will confirm your membership. This mainly affects self-funded students. Other students may be asked to pay in full before arrival. You will be notified by email by the Student Finance Administrator if any prepayment is required.

Otherwise, provided you have met the conditions set by the university, (this may be Graduate Admissions, Judge Business School or Faculty of Education depending on your course), you will receive an emailed letter of confirmation of college membership from our Admissions Office. This letter will inform you of the date you are required to arrive in college for your College Registration Day

How do I get a University card?

You will receive your university card at your College Registration Day.

All new students are supplied with a university card which provides access to the University departments, libraries and college buildings. The card is also a form of ID for local student discount offers. All cards are owned by the University and must be returned at the end of your studies.

In order to receive your card please upload a passport style photograph in JPEG format to your Self-Service account which meets the following guidelines:
Shows your face with no obstructions i.e. no glasses, unless normally worn), hat or scarf (unless worn for religious reasons).
Is in colour and in focus with a plain light-coloured background.
Look directly at the camera and position your face in the centre of the shot.
Is 280 pixels wide x 336 pixels high (no larger please).
Is scanned at a high resolution (250 – 300 dpi).Where to send your photo:Please upload your photograph directly into CamSIS via your Self-Service account. If you are unable to do this please email with the photo attached.