+44 (0)1223 334 898

Financial Hardship

Funding and Financial Hardship

Hughes Hall, like Cambridge University, expects you to have your funding fully in place before starting your course. This is a condition of acceptance. It also means that you should not be distracted from your study by funding worries.

Note that it is not possible to work part-time in order to fund yourself, given the intensity of a full-time Cambridge course. In any case, the university has strict rules limiting the amount of time for any paid work.

Nevertheless, students occasionally experience financial hardship. Both the university and the college have some funds available for hardship caused by ‘unforeseen and unforeseeable circumstances’ (the traditional definition), and occasionally for other needs.

Speak to your Tutor if you have financial concerns. They can give you advice, and they will have to comment on any application to college or university funds. NB. For College Grants for Travel, Language Learning, Varsity Sport and PhD Thesis Binding, see the Funding and Prizes page.

College Hardship Funds

To apply for Hughes Hall hardship support, complete the Application Form, and arrange to discuss this with your tutor, who may wish to follow up certain points. Your tutor will then forward your application to the college’s Student Finance Committee, which meets fortnightly during term. Note that if you wish to receive help from funds generously given by others, you need to be open about your income and expenditure. The college will respect your privacy and handle this information sensitively.

The College has several funds, and the Student Finance Committee will allocate sums from the most appropriate fund where they accept that there is genuine hardship and there are funds available. These are:

  • Chui Wen Mei Memorial Bursary Fund, generously donated in memory of Ms Chui Wen Mei
  • Hughes Hall Hardship Fund, from historic donations and other sources
  • Bell, Abbott, and Barnes Funds for undergraduates, college-administered allocation (additional to central funds)
  • Hughes Hall Innominate Fund, for small grants

University Hardship Funds

For these funds, you must consult your tutor, since some need the tutor to apply on your behalf, and all will need college support from either tutor or Senior Tutor. There is a helpful round-up of University hardship funds on the University website.