Securing a College Room


Student rooms in the College are priced by bands based on the size of the room, the room’s location, and whether or not it has en-suite bath or shower facilities. You can see information about the bands and current prices in the fees and charges section of the website.

In the spring, the College reviews the allocation procedure and sets the band prices for the up-coming academic year, and at that point the room allocation process for students will be opened.

College student accommodation is only provided for those studying full-time.


It is College policy to give priority for college accommodation to students taking courses of two years duration or longer, and to give priority to first-year students for accommodation on the central College site. The detailed Accommodation Allocation Policy is available for download.

The Process

Graduate applicants for full-time study who are offered a place are asked to return an Acceptance Reply Form, for undergraduates this happens through UCAS. Shortly after your acceptance has been received by the College you will be contacted by the accommodation team and asked to complete an Accommodation Preference Form where you indicate which price bands you prefer for your College accommodation. (Those who accept before the room allocation process for new students is opened will be emailed when it is opened.)

During the Summer your application to study will be processed by the University and Hughes Hall, and you will have been asked to complete documentation related to your application as outlined in your offer letter. That process is separate from the College room allocation process. However, when you have been confirmed as a student by the College and submitted your Accommodation Preference Form we will send you an email notifying you of the process to secure a room in the allocation.

When all rooms have been allocated we will notify anyone still awaiting confirmation as soon as possible and provide guidance on finding accommodation from other sources.


If you have disability requirements related to accommodation you should contact the College’s Disability Equality Officer who will help you provide the necessary information to enable the college to provide suitable accommodation. This requires specific medical information which can take time to secure. The earlier you contact the Disability Equality Officer, the easier it will be to complete the process and to secure suitable accommodation.


Couples accommodation is provided for students in established long-term relationships intending to live in Cambridge with their partner as the primary place of residence for both individuals. There is limited College couples’ accommodation available, and allocations for those seeking couples’ accommodation only is likely to close earlier in the Summer.


  • Queries about the progress of your application, including about when you will be eligible to be offered College accommodation, should be directed to the admissions team.
  • If you have queries about the College accommodation you can contact the accommodation team.
  • Please see the Frequently Asked Questions for more information about student accommodation at Hughes Hall.
It is College policy to give priority for college accommodation to students taking courses of two years duration or longer.